Transportation Summer Intern 2022 (Paid)
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: System Wide (US)
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also through our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and sustainable rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with a two-day corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During the training period, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF’s system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation payment assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
WORK LOCATION: Fort Worth, TX, Vancouver, WA, Whitefish, MT, Minneapolis, MN, San Bernardino, CA, Denver, CO, Belen, NM, Houston, TX, Kansas City, KS, Lincoln, NE, Chicago, IL
START DATE: 06/01/2022
END DATE: 08/9/2022
SALARY RANGE: $4,500 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of full-time position
- Paid Internship
- SUMMER RELOCATION WILL BE REQUIRED. A candidate can be relocated to any location across the BNSF system (see System Map on website www.bnsf.com).
- An ideal candidate should be very flexible regarding location.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This challenging program offers students the opportunity to learn about the working logistics of this fast-paced railroad. The summer will be spent on an assigned Division, which could be anywhere on BNSF’s 32,500 mile system. During this assignment, the intern will learn to manage railroad terminal operations, work on specific logistics projects, assist supervisors in managing crews (which consists of a conductor and engineer), interact with other Operating departments (Mechanical and Engineering) and learn more about the field operations supervisory position.
Examples of summer activities could include, but are not limited to:
- Observe multiple safety briefings throughout the shift with crews, dispatchers, maintenance employees and other BNSF Team Members.
- Ride trains with the crews and observe Operational testing & audits for the crews.
- Assist with planning the movement of cars, inventory, locomotives, crews and trains within a designated terminal and across an Operational division/territory.
- Shadow other Operating groups to better understand how the teams work together.
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Indoors and outdoors on a regular basis.
- Environment requires personal protective equipment, hard hat, safety glasses, and gloves. These materials will be provided by BNSF
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week and could include 12-hour shifts
- Schedule could involve nights, weekends, and holidays, as BNSF is a 24 X 7 work environment.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.70 for Engineering or Construction Management majors OR cumulative GPA of 3.0 for non-Engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to an assigned location within the BNSF Network for the summer.
- I am able to hear and, with training, distinguish auditory signals.
- I am able to visually distinguish among red, blue, green, yellow and lunar (clear light) colors.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Pursuit of a degree in Engineering, Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain Management, Business, Distribution OR a similar program.
- Graduation date prior to September 2023.
- Experience working in an engineering, transportation, logistics or supply chain environment.
- Experience working outdoors or in an industrial environment.
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.