Overview of Citizens Commercial Banking
Citizens Commercial Bankingis growing the future leaders of our organization. Commercial Banking is business to business banking. It involves analytical and problem-solving skills as well as strong interpersonal skills to build relationships with commercial clients. Career paths include but are not limited to Credit Analysis, Portfolio Management, Relationship Management.
The Commercial Summer Internship Program is designed to give interns a look at Citizens Bank’s culture through project-based assignments, learning curriculum, networking, volunteer opportunities and formal mentorship. It is a 10-week exposure into one of many commercial banking business lines throughout the footprint. Responsibilities will vary based on the group you’re assigned to and will leverage your unique skills and abilities. We encourage students from all majors, who have an interest in exploring a career in commercial banking to apply. Our internships will run from May 30 – August 4, 2023. At the conclusion of the program, high performers will get early consideration into the Commercial Banker Development Program (CBDP), a 1-year rotational training and development program and start to your career in Commercial Banking.
Underwriting and Portfolio Management (U&PM) focuses on underwriting credit requests for new and existing clients and managing the bank’s portfolio through the life of the relationship. There are many client groups within U&PM including Middle Market, Mid Corporate, Commercial Real Estate, Asset Finance, and Business Capital, to name a few. Colleagues in U&PM work in cross-functional teams to review and analyze historical and projected financial performance, identify risks and mitigants, structure credit facilities, ancillary banking products and services for the bank and its clients. U&PM ensures that clients are complying with the terms of the underlying credit facilities and monitors for any current or future deterioration in credit, as well as future opportunities to assist clients in achieving their goals and objectives.
The summer intern will work as part of a commercial client coverage deal team. The position will support Portfolio Managers (PM), Credit Analysts (CA), and Relationship Managers (RMs) in new loan transaction underwriting, loan monitoring, and business development activities:
- Monitor for the receipt and accuracy of client reporting including financial statements, covenant compliance certificates, and collateral requirements.
- Assist in credit analysis, preparation of deal screening memos, new credit approval requests, loan closings, and annual reviews of existing client relationships. This includes learning / preparing financial models, written financial analysis, conducting industry research and preparing written summaries of industry issues, risks, opportunities, and the competitive environment, communicating questions or observations, and utilizing internal risk and return models and loan systems.
- Performs market analysis and assist in the development of commercial client prospect lists as needed. Works with the Relationship Managers to assist in preparation of client presentations.
- Participate in Team Meetings, Capital Markets calls and broader Commercial Banking calls.
- Participate in deal screen presentations and credit approval meetings.
- Work as part of the deal team on a deal screen or new transaction.
- Participate in client meetings or conference calls.
- Network within the commercial bank and ask questions about specific roles.
- Complete other tasks and special projects as required.
- Enrollment and demonstrated academic achievement in an undergraduate degree program with a graduation date of December 2023 or May 2024
- Minimum preferred GPA of 3.5
- All majors considered, Finance desirable
- Demonstrated leadership in a club, volunteer or sports
- Initiative taker who can handle multiple priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and Detail-oriented
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Team player who can work closely with others to complete projects under tight deadlines
- Software skills: Solid MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Application Details and Deadline
Submit your application no later than, February 10th, 2023. Combine your resume and cover letter into a single PDF document before attaching it to your completed application. The cover letter is a required writing sample, and your resume must include your overall GPA to be considered. Your cover letter must respond to the questions below:
- Why are you interested in joining Citizens Bank?
- What is your interest in Commercial Banking?
- What skills and character attributes can you bring to the program?