Location: Woodcliff Lake, NJ, US Chicago, IL, US Boston, MA, US New York, NY, US
Requisition ID: 124541
Job Level: Entry Level
Department: Business Management
Market: Corporate Home Office
Employment Type: Full Time
Are you interested in helping be responsible for the business management of projects ranging from $1 million to $4 billion? How about taking part in key forecasting and accounting practices? If this is something that interests you, Kiewit is looking for individuals who can make a profound impact on our company culture every day!
The Business Specialist is an entry level role focused on supporting a project in accounting and finance related functions. Each project at Kiewit is run like a small business, with the Business Specialist concentrated on critical tasks such as cost control, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, human capital management, and compliance. This position will become skilled executing processes and utilizing tools related to different types of cost and revenue components such as labor, construction equipment, materials, and subcontracts. The Business Specialist will be an integral part of the month end close out process, and assist with preparing a financial reporting package for project management.
At Kiewit, the scale of our operations is huge. Our construction and engineering projects span across the United States, Canada and Mexico, improving and connecting communities with every initiative. We depend on our high-performing operations support professionals — they’re the glue that holds multiple areas of the business together and the catalysts that make things happen. We hire only the most driven people and we offer them diverse career opportunities, strong leadership and mentorship, rewarding, collaborative work, and responsibility they won’t find just anywhere. We’re always pushing new limits. You can too.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
• Recognizes the importance of being a team player by adapting to project needs and helping in other areas as needed
• Fosters relationships with the Operations team and shows a willingness to learn about the work
• Understands the payroll and HR process workflow, and masters the systems used to properly hire, transfer, terminate, and pay all employees
• Comprehends how goods are purchased, invoices are received and paid, and maintains purchasing workflow internal controls
• Demonstrates understanding of the accounts payable process workflow and is able troubleshoot payment or vendor issues
• Understands intercompany and client billing process workflow, importance of timely and accurate billing documentation, and the effects of timeliness on cash management
• Ensures that all cost and cost adjustments are reviewed for accuracy to meet company standards and accounting rules
• Reviews costs, quantity claiming, budget structure and exception reports and makes appropriate corrections to ensure accurate reporting for management
• Identifies, adjusts, and reviews forecast and budget issues with the cost report to confirm proper recognition of cost and revenue
• Displays first-rate customer service skills – maintains a positive attitude and always willing to offer a helping hand to other team members
• Maintains highly organized work environment, understands importance of time management, and communicates in a clear, concise and effective manner
• Follows the Corporate Compliance Program and works in conjunction with the compliance department to implement all EEO and labor laws at the project level
- 0 – 2 years of financial/data analysis experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Management, and/or equivalent degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
- Ability to relocate anywhere in the country
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Travel and/or relocation may be required for this position (up to 50%)
- Experience working with Pivot Tables, V-Look Ups, and other key excel functions is preferred
- Effective communication (both oral and written), organization and interpersonal skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and passionate for continuous improvement
- Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Previous internship experience is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.