ABOUT SEABOARD FOODS
At Seaboard Foods, we create the most sought-after pork. A top U.S. pork producer/processor and leading exporter to 30+ countries, we are committed to the pursuit of pork perfection, seeking a better way to produce wholesome pork and connect every step between our farms and family tables. Together, more than 5,000 employees in five states work in our farms, feed mills, and processing plant, to produce Prairie Fresh® pork, ensuring the well-being of our animals, the environment, our employees and the communities we call home.
The Operations Associate Program (OAP) is a full-time training program for individuals who are interested in a career in fresh pork processing. The OAP gives the individual the opportunity to gain hands-on industry experience in the day-to-day operations of a 900,000 square-foot fresh pork facility harvesting 22,500 animals per day in Guymon, OK. Operations Associates develop key skills in multiple areas including production training, food safety quality assurance (FSQA), and operations management.
Phase one as a production trainer allows the individual to learn key positions required in production to obtain yields and efficiencies in the operation. Phase two gives exposure to the established food safety and quality standards for the company. Finally, phase three gives the individual the opportunity to work side-by-side with production management to learn the day-to-day management of a production line. The duration of each training phase will vary based on business needs, previous experience, and mastery of skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Participate in new hire orientation, certification programs, departmental overviews of the plant and support operations to develop a thorough understanding of department functions
- Become skillful in critical production positions utilizing a variety of tools (i.e. Whizard knife, straight knife, and draw knife)
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of position requirements of assigned line/department and completely demonstrates the skills of each position on the line
- Develops a competent workforce by utilizing hands-on training methods in the working area
- Communicates and collaborates with all levels of management within the organization
- Ensures all new hires and existing employees are trained and qualified to perform the tasks of each position on the line
- Communicates daily expectations, direction, instructions and provides ongoing feedback and follow-up to probationary employees to achieve daily production goals and objectives
- Participate in the harvest inspection program
- Knowledgeable of general company policies and job-specific standard operating procedures (SOPs), Job Safety Analysis (JSA), training requirements, and personal protective equipment
- Maintain accurate records to ensure consistency of product quality, compliance to regulatory agency requirements (USDA), company FSQA policies and procedures, and documentation of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) process
- Monitor Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), SOPs and Critical Control Points (CCPs) to ensure the quality and food safety of product and that product specifications are met
Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Bachelor’s or associate degree in meat science, food science or related field preferred
- Internship or work experience in a meat processing plant preferred, not required.
- Can demonstrate the ability to exercise professional judgment by providing proactive solutions and recommendations
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to facilitate, encourage and lead a team to reach set goals.
- Strong sense of urgency and works well in a fast-paced environment
- Good critical thinking and judgement skills to reach the best possible solution to a problem
- Ability to communicate effectively and balance interactions with a diverse group of people such as employees, managers, and senior management
- Must be able to work in hot or cold environment.
- Stand for extended periods of time – typically 9-10 hours a day
Seaboard Foods is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.