What is the Opportunity?
We are currently hiring into the Global Financial Institutions Group. Our full-time Analyst Program helps to prepare talented individuals for an engaging and rewarding career at SMBC. It commences with six weeks of coursework, which lays a solid foundation in financial analysis, our processes, and professional development. Our Analyst Program is an investment in our people.
Financial Institutions Group (GFIG)
The Global Financial Institutions Group offers comprehensive banking solutions to our clients by leveraging the strength of SMBC Group, our products and services, and our global platform. We work closely with product partners across the firm, serving as the primary point of contact for our clients to connect them to the broader SMBC Group, while acting as an advisor to our clients and recommending the best financial products for their needs. Our FIG team is a rising market leader, covering funds, sponsors, and various specialty finance companies
At SMBC, we connect the diversity of our employees to the resilience of our firm. We strongly encourage an inclusive environment so that our staff can be their authentic selves and fully thrive in their roles. It is our belief that diversity is not only about demographic differences but also of thought, knowledge, skills, and culture. The acceptance of such diversity strengthens each one of us and is essential to the success of our firm. We are deeply committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing, talented, and diverse workforce.
We are a market leader. The evolution of SMBC’s products and services is driven by the ever-changing needs of companies across the globe in every industry sector. SMBC takes market-leading positions and has been consistently recognized in the banking industry for providing outstanding financial services.
Our corporate relationships are built on trust. To successfully navigate an uncertain economy while also capitalizing on the opportunities that rise, clients count on SMBC to take a long-term view that emphasizes stability and attention to the numbers. This approach has served our clients well.
Our competitive advantage:
- A strong client base with broad coverage of the Fortune 500
- Worldwide operations enable us to provide clients with global solutions, make SMBC the leading choice for U.S. businesses expanding in Asia
- A solid balance sheet and conservative approach
How Our Program Works
Our full-time Analyst Program is designed for students who completed their undergraduate degree.
The six weeks of training includes:
- Latest industry practices and thought leadership – We invite distinguished internal and external experts to conduct training sessions on critical topics
- Credit and Financial Modelling, Financial Markets eLearning, Capital Markets, Accounting, Business Overviews (presented by panels of experts from our businesses) and Case Studies
- Business Writing, Presentation Skills, Managing Your Career, Personal and SMBC Branding, Japanese Cultural Training, and various networking events
- Buddy assignments to support fluid integration into the Analyst Program
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2022 or May 2023; excellent academic record
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with specific ability to communicate concepts and ideas concisely and defend their validity
- Financial accounting skills with an ability to read and interpret financial statements and perform credit analysis
- Experience with filtering and processing large amounts of information, including company reports, SEC filings, legal documents, and news
- Ability to comfortably interact with clients in a professional and mature manner
- Outstanding ethics, integrity, and judgment
- Intellectual curiosity
- Comfort in and commitment to a strong teamwork environment; highly collaborative to coordinate and communicate with various internal departments across the firm
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-driven, and motivated
- Excellent technology skills with superior Excel and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly learn new software applications
- Knowledge of banking and prior internships at a bank or financial institution are preferred