The Management Associate program is our entry level program for college graduates to help accelerate their professional development. Management Associates are provided between 12-24 months of training across multiple functional areas with work assignments designed to assist in both personal and skill-set development. The role may include rotational assignment(s) within the Steelmaking & Casting Operations department. This program is designed to strengthen leadership capabilities to prepare the college graduate for advanced roles within our operations or in a number of disciplines that support our operations.
U. S. Steel has an opening for a Management Associate – Steelmaking & Casting Operations at our Granite City, IL facility. Training consists of classroom and “hands on” work experiences in areas such as Safety, Quality, Communication, Leadership, Teamwork, and Problem Solving. Specific process and equipment training will also be provided. Our facilities operate 24/7, 365 days a year. Position requires rotating work schedules, weekends and/or holidays work.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Apply engineering and/or business principles and problem solving techniques in a manufacturing environment to insure maximum operating efficiency while handling the pressure of managing a production crew.
• Supervise, direct, and coordinate the efforts of experienced technicians to keep the production operations running at maximum efficiency with minimum interruption
• Consult with other production and maintenance managers, plant engineers, staff professionals, and outside equipment manufacturers
• Train and supervise employees.
• Due to the nature of our business, some facilities operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year so the Management Associate position may require rotating schedules, weekend and/or holiday work.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Management, Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering or Operations Management
• Must have graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university at the time of hire
• Must have less than three years of professional work experience
• Must have an interest in a “hands on” assignment in a manufacturing environment.
• Must be willing and able to work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays as needed.
Preferred Skills : We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
• Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically